Saturday 6 February 2010

Obtaining materials

The first major hurdle is obtaining materials. For some reasons it gets difficult when you want something that goes outside the scope off the do-it-yourself-shop. And living in the Netherlands I have to find other suppliers than supplied on the yostwerks site.

The design calls for:
Aluminium 6063 or 6061 tube in various telescoping english sizes
PVC coated fabric in 10 and 18 oz weight
HH-66 PVC glue
Folbot sponsons (air tubes for the commercially made Folbot folding kayaks)

First the tubing:
I will have to use metric tubing, with the disadvantage that they will not telescope properly. Metric sizes have a zero tolerance fit, wheras with english sizes you can end with 0.2 mm clearance. But as I do own a lathe I will turn down the inserts slightly, no big deal.
The only material I can get is 6060 T6. Not as strong nor as corrosion resistant as the required materials, but I am happy that I can get any proper material. I will use the folowing sizes:
Keel / stringers: 19x1.5 mm
Inserts: 16x1.5 mm
Sleeves: 22x1.5 mm
Coaming: 13x1.5 mm
Total material cost for tubing is approximately 130 euro.

Second the PVC:
Yost uses 18 oz fabric for the hull, and 10 oz fabric for the deck.
18 oz is approximately 640 gr/m2, and 10 oz is approximately 340 gr /m2.
Luckily I found a company nearby (Pro-seal zeilmakerij) that makes lots of products out of PVC coated fabric. They were willing to sell me some PVC. Regretfully the lightest material they have is 500 gr/m2. So I ended up buying 680 gr/m2 PVC in black for the hull, and the same material in yellow for the deck. I also got some quite supple 500 gr/m2 material in grey that I might use for the sponson sleeves and the coaming. I could use it for the deck as well, but the yellow is much more beautiful.

Then the glue:
HH-66 is only available in the USA and canada. I found a shop in the UK as well, but they refuse to sell overseas. I probably will use another glue, Helaplast. A German builder has used this and it should work identical to HH-66. Another possibility is Tarpo-S, from Planenwelt.

And the sponsons:
The sponsons are sold in the Folbot webshop. But shipping from the USA is quit expensive unless I use the non-trackable USPS that I hear mixed reports about. I decided to order from the German Folbot dealer: Outtrade. Four sponsons including shipping will set me back about 178 euro. If I make a second boat I will probably try to make the sponsons myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment